Search This Blog

Sunday, March 1, 2015

Current Reading List February- March 2015

With spring break finally here (at least for me) I can finally relax and read what I want. Despite being a Floridian for the last 10 + years or so I am NOT a beach person. The hot sand and pee filled ocean never really appealed to me. But getting back on topic, I haven't had much time for any pleasure reading since starting graduate school. So this spring break I am going to do a little binge reading and catch up on what's out there. Here are the ones I picked out and hope you guys might enjoy them too.


Can't We Talk About Something More Pleasant?
By Roz Chast 
A Memoir 

Out of all the books I picked up this has to be my favorite! Can't We Talk About Something More Pleasant by Roz Chast is a memoir about her relationship with her aging parents. Roz explores through family dynamics and the topic we all dread to talk about... the inevitability of DEATH. Roz takes memoirs to a whole new level by using comics to tell her story. The book is filled colorful illustrations as well as personal photos from Roz. A combination of comedy, life lessons and mostly importantly love. No matter how old we get the love for our parents never seems to change. Incredibly honest and moving, you won't want to put it down. 


Grace's Guide: The Art of Pretending to be a Grownup
By Grace Helbig

Grace Helbig has already taken the YouTube world by storm with her hilariously "informative" videos and now she is doing what every other YouTuber out there is doing... write a book. I have read a lot of the books out there written by YouTubers, but this one is definitely the most relatable. Grace covers many important topics on becoming an adult from how do date, "grown up" food, to even how to make adult friends.  But of course she adds her own hilarious spin that helps the everyday girl or guy conquer the "adult" world. Highly recommend if you are looking for a light and funny read. 



The DUFF
By Kody Keplinger

I recently just saw the movie in theaters and fell in love! I didn't realize till after I saw the movie that is it based of a book. But hey what movie isn't these days. The DUFF is a coming of age story that deals with the downs of high school more specifically being a DUFF or otherwise known as designated ugly fat friend. If you seen the trailer for the movie already you will have a sense on what the book is about. If Mean Girls and A Cinderella Story had a baby this would be it. GO and see the movie first! 


Fresh Off The Boat
By Eddie Huang
A Memoir

I started watching the TV show based off of this book and thought why not go and read it. What drew me into this book/ TV show was that it reminded me a little of my life. I know exactly and can relate to what Eddie was going through growing up in Florida after coming from a different country in the 90s. I cried so much from laughing that my family and friends thought I was going crazy. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *