Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Si's Life: Chinese New Year '15

Hey guys I apologize for putting this up so late. I misplaced the photos on my computer and had a bit of a time trying to locate the file but after a couple hours of searching I was able to recover most of the photos. So as most of you probably know by now I am Chinese so I celebrate Chinese New Year. Unlike New Year's here in the states we actually don't celebrate till February due to the lunar year calendar and all that I won't go into the history. But this year is extra special because it is the year of the SHEEP (not a fucking goat...)!!! And as you can guess I am a sheep on the zodiac. I also share this year with two other members of my family; my uncle and my grandfather from my mom's side. 

Because the majority of my family is in China, the family that I have here don't totally go ALL OUT. We do celebrate with a party with family and some family friends that consists of LOTS of food and alcohol (of course) and watching the Chinese New Year's concerts broadcasted over my parent's satellite dish. It is always a fun affair and who doesn't like to watch & record drunk relatives making a fool out of themselves. Unfortunately due to strict laws of fireworks here in the states we don't do them. The fireworks used in the new year celebrations are 10 times more powerful than the average Fourth of July fireworks. They sound more like nuclear bombs. And as much as I would like to annoy my parent's pesky neighbors I had to refrain. Going to jail for those pesky neighbors would not have been worth it. Anyway I wanted to share some of the food that was part of the celebration. The main dish is usually dumplings but that can vary with different family traditions. Along with the dumplings there are usually tons of side dishes because eating too much dumplings can get boring. 


DUMPLINGS (2 TYPES: PORK & TOFU)

SIDE DISHES 
TOP LEFT: SAUTÉED CHINESE BLACK MUSHROOMS W/CARROTS & EGG
TOP RIGHT: CHINESE COLESLAW (A FAMILY FRIEND MADE THIS I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT WAS IN IT)
BOTTOM LEFT: SOBA NOODLE SALAD
BOTTOM RIGHT: MA PO TOFU

COLD SLICED BEEF

DESERT TABLE

TABLE SETTING






No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *