Search This Blog

Monday, April 6, 2015

Si's Life: Miami Open 2015

Tennis in my family is more than a sport it's a lifestyle. My parents started their obsession in their 20's when they first moved to the states and passed this obsession to my siblings and I. All of us started playing at a young age and had professional training. My sister and I stopped training after a couple of years. Both of us weren't really interested in pursuing it any further and we managed to play fairly decent but nothing amazing. I ended up switching to soccer but still managed to play on my high school tennis team as did my sister. My 10 year old little brother is currently training and is definitely the one that inherited the playing gene. But even with the lack of playing skills, I still love to watch the sport. 


This past weekend I headed down to Miami to attend the Miami Open which is an annual tennis tournament showcasing the top players in tennis today such as Serena Williams, Rafal Nadal, Andy Murray and so forth. It definitely isn't as big as the US Open, French Open etc... but is still pretty intense on its own. This is my second time attending this and I ended up loving it even more than last time. 

The event itself is pretty huge not just drawing locals but also people from all over the country. It is held in Key Biscayne Miami and is usually around the end of March to the beginning of April. Besides the tennis tournaments, the event also showcases and sells tennis equipment from rackets, to sunglasses, to clothing. They also showcase and sell a variety of delicious local food from hamburgers, pizzas, frozen lemonade etc... There were also volleyball tournaments, fashion shows, and signings going on at the same time. The event itself is pretty organized however some of the people that work the event are not so pleasant. I unfortunately had some not so pleasant encounters with some of the staff that did a number on my mood. I understand from personal experience with events of this high velocity can get super stressful but adding saltness to it doesn't and won't ever help. But nevertheless it was a great time and I highly recommend it to anyone who is a tennis lover like me. 

Some of the players I got to see...

- Serena Williams
-Carla Navarro
-Andy Murray
-Martina Hingis
-Tomas Berdych
-Sania Mirza



Unfortunately I wasn't able to get that many pictures it was too hot and photographing tennis isn't an easy task. Check out my Instagram SZHAO91 for videos and shots of my adventure in Miami.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *